[open-science] A new collaborative editor for open science

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Sat Feb 11 21:17:39 UTC 2017

Open source software is an analogy that may work for some types of knowledge (especially computer software), but not all types of knowledge.

New knowledge builds on previous knowledge. This has always been the case, and still is the case even with All Rights Reserved copyright. Open licensing is not necessary and does not accomplish as much as making works free to read does.

Open licensing is not appropriate for all kinds of knowledge. Personal stories, interviews and images are part of knowledge creation in many areas of scholarship. It may not be possible to gather such information under conditions requiring open license publishing. It is not unusual for researchers to have to work hard to gain the trust of research subjects, including addressing questions about how their information will be used. Here, a rigid approach to open leads to closure.

This is just one example, to avoid an overly long message. My key point is that software is software is software but research data is measurements of the physical world, a sensitive interview with a victim of genocide or torture, a work of art that invokes author moral rights that are really important to the author, data that belongs to third party organizations that can only be used and released by researchers under the third party's terms and conditions, and many more types of information important to building knowledge. One size does not fit all.

best,

Heather Morrison

On the topic of Authorea: I assume that anything in Github (or Gitlab) is for computer programmers. I am not a programmer, therefore I am not going to Github to check it out. I mention this only in case the creators of Authorea are interested in attracting the attention of people like me. I know that not everything in Github is for programmers but that does not matter.