[open-science] Let us denonce the pseudo-open Public Library of Science

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Tue Feb 14 15:54:42 UTC 2017

My argument (so far) is that replicability is a poor argument for open data. Open data does not facilitate replication, nor is it necessary to replication.

To help explain further why this matters:

Opening up data opens up new avenues for research that could be very valuable to advance our knowledge. I think this is something we agree on. Here, my concern is that if we believe that repeating analysis of the same data using the same analytic tools equals replication, we set ourselves up for false confidence in findings that may be highly repeatable (using the same data) with unknown validity.

New research methods requires new research into the methodology itself.

best,

Heather Morrison

On 2017-02-14, at 10:34 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com<mailto:takowl at gmail.com>>