[open-science] Job at University of Cambridge coordinating open initiatives in synthetic biology

Jenny Molloy jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 19:32:57 UTC 2018

Hi All

My job at the University of Cambridge has just been advertised
<http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/16590/> (http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/16590/)!
The job involves a lot of coordination activities for open science, open
hardware and synthetic biology so I thought I’d post to this community in
case anyone is looking.

I’m sad to be leaving the role after three years but very excited to be
taking up a Fellowship in the same department researching openness in the
context of a bioeconomy and still working closely with the same initiatives
- OpenPlant (https://www.openplant.org/) and the Synthetic Biology
Strategic Research Initiative (https://www.synbio.cam.ac.uk/). In my time
in the role I’ve been involved with:

   - Organising an annual Open Technology Week and maker faire in Cambridge
   - Setting up the Biomaker Challenge with 40 teams prototyping biological
   instrumentation
   - Coordinating the OpenPlant Fund awarding over 60 grants for open
   biology/hardware/software/outreach projects
   - Running monthly pub talks and maker events as well as more formal
   academic meetings on synthetic biology
   - Coordinating a working group to develop an Open Material Transfer
   Agreement
   - Writing grants to enable above activities and more to take place

You’d have excellent colleagues and be working with an enthusiastic
community who really want to make a difference. Just a note that the job
requirements include ideally having a PhD in a related area (e.g. molecular
biology, synthetic biology, biological engineering of some description).

*Here is the application page <http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/16590/>*, the
deadline is 12 Mar 2018 and please send to any colleagues you think might
be interested!

Feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions that the ad doesn’t
answer.

Jenny