[open-science] Why are we leaving it to Google?

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Mon Sep 10 16:39:21 UTC 2018

  Emanuil Tolev writes

> Well, there's value in having people funded to think about those things
> independently on medium and long term. That's why https://doaj.org exists.

  I am not disputing the value of DOAJ. DOAJ is a dataset. I'm disputing
  the value of putting resources into building a search engine when
  the same resources could be put into building datasets, and when
  Google already are building a search engine.

> It probably provides a better search experience in some ways and worse in
> other ways/contexts. Either way the org behind it is very useful and the
> people on the editorial team have gathered quite a lot of interesting
> knowledge that orgs like SCOSS and SPARC, foundations, funders etc. then
> make use of.

  I agree.

> Google eng wouldn't think of the problems in the same way as
> the open science people involved in the open* mailing lists and DOAJ.

  I'm not sure what Google "eng" is but if you mean engineers, I for
  one would not stereotype them in this way.

  BTW, I would be grateful if a maintainer of opencon could add me to
  that group.

--

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                  http://openlib.org/home/krichel