[open-science] Published: The Foundations for Open Scholarship Strategy Development

Jon Tennant jon.tennant.2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 10:28:16 UTC 2019

Dear list members,

With the usual apologies for cross-posting, for the dozenth or so time now.

I wanted to draw your attention to a new publication, the Foundations for
Open Scholarship Strategy Development: https://osf.io/preprints/bitss/b4v8p

This is an openly crowd-sourced, strategic document that aims to help with
the full transition to an open scholarship system. It describes the steps
that individuals, groups, institutes, and national-level bodies can take in
helping to accelerate the ongoing movement. It is by no means perfect, and
not a consensus document, and its
effectiveness will be realised when individuals and communities can
implement different parts of it as cultural norms develop and shift towards
a more open state.

As it is published on the BITSS preprint server, this means that anyone can
leave comments or feedback using Hypothesis. If we get enough constructive
criticism, it may be the case that we will create a revised version. Open
scholarship is ridiculously dynamic, so there is no reason this strategy
shouldn't reflect that.

It is a bit of a monster document, as expected, so there is an immediate
action plan published for those who just would prefer a digest. The main
document is also available in a range of formats (ePub, XML, HTML, txt,
markdown, TeX etc) in the supplementary files here: https://osf.io/wbfru/

I hope many of you find this useful, and I want to finish by thanking the
incredible drafting committee for their valuable work on getting this
completed.

Kind regards,
Jon

*Abstract*

This document aims to agree on a broad, international strategy for the
implementation of open scholarship that meets the needs of different
national and regional communities but works globally.

Scholarly research can be idealised as an inspirational process for
advancing our collective knowledge to the benefit of all humankind.
However, current research practices often struggle with a range of
tensions, in part due to the fact that this collective (or “commons”) ideal
conflicts with the competitive system in which most scholars work, and in
part because much of the infrastructure of the scholarly world is becoming
largely digital. What is broadly termed as Open Scholarship is an attempt
to realign modern research practices with this ideal. We do not propose a
definition of Open Scholarship, but recognise that it is a holistic term
that encompasses many disciplines, practices, and principles, sometimes
also referred to as Open Science or Open Research. We choose the term Open
Scholarship to be more inclusive of these other terms. When we refer to
science in this document, we do so historically and use it as shorthand for
more general scholarship.

The purpose of this document is to provide a concise analysis of where the
global Open Scholarship movement currently stands: what the common threads
and strengths are, where the greatest opportunities and challenges lie, and
how we can more effectively work together as a global community to
recognise and address the top strategic priorities. This document was
inspired by the Foundations for OER Strategy Development and work in the
FORCE11 Scholarly Commons Working Group, and developed by an open
contribution working group.

Our hope is that this document will serve as a foundational resource for
continuing discussions and initiatives about implementing effective
strategies to help streamline the integration of Open Scholarship practices
into a modern, digital research culture. Through this, we hope to extend
the reach and impact of Open Scholarship into a global context, making sure
that it is truly open for all. We also hope that this document will evolve
as the conversations around Open Scholarship progress, and help to provide
useful insight for both global co-ordination and local action. We believe
this is a step forward in making Open Scholarship the norm.

Ultimately, we expect the impact of widespread adoption of Open Scholarship
to be diverse. We expect novel research practices to accelerate the pace of
innovation, and therefore stimulate critical industries around the world.
We could also expect to see an increase in public trust of science and
scholarship, as transparency becomes more normative. As such, we expect
interest in Open Scholarship to increase at multiple levels, due to its
inherent influence on society and global economics.

*  Nomadic Palaeontologist, Rogue Open Scientist; PhD, MEarthSci, MSc*

   - Founder of the *Open Science MOOC
   <https://eliademy.com/catalog/catalog/product/view/sku/02d7338a7e> *

<https://eliademy.com/catalog/catalog/product/view/sku/02d7338a7e>

   - Founder of *paleorXiv* <https://paleorxiv.org/>, a free digital
   publishing platform for Palaeontology
   - Companion Website <https://paleorxiv.github.io/>
   - Independent open science communicator and consultant
   <http://fossilsandshit.com/open-scholarship/>
   - Author of Excavate! Dinosaurs
      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Excavate-Dinosaurs-Paper-Toy-Palaeontology/dp/178240144X>
and