[open-sustainability] Hello from London

Tom Chance Tom.Chance at london.gov.uk
Mon Dec 10 14:41:10 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'd like to quickly introduce myself, and some open sustainability data.

I work at the Greater London Authority supporting the two Green Party Members of the London Assembly (a body of elected politicians who scrutinise the Mayor of London and have certain powers over his budget and strategy). I've also been involved on and off with the open data movement for many years in a personal capacity, including speaking at some of Rufus Pollock's ever-fun London Copyfighters' Drunken Brunch events back in 2005 (those were the days!)

The GLA launched one of the very first open data projects in the UK, where you can find quite a bit of enviromental data:
http://data.london.gov.uk/taxonomy/categories/environment

This includes the London Energy and Greenhouse Gas Inventory, which sounds similar to the sort of data Hans Rosling wants to see published worldwide:
http://data.london.gov.uk/datastore/package/leggi-2008-database

Thanks to pressure from one of the Members I work with, the GLA has also started to release detailed modelling data underpinning its strategies, for example:
http://data.london.gov.uk/datastore/package/climate-change-mitigation-and-energy-strategy-model-data

In my personal life I have also pursued various experiments with sustainable lifestyles data in OpenStreetMap, for example:
http://tom.acrewoods.net/2011/04/11/announcing-openecomaps-to-geeks/ (site currently not functioning!)
http://tom.acrewoods.net/2012/10/04/mapping-for-pedestrians/
http://tom.acrewoods.net/2012/10/26/londons-natural-geography/
http://tom.acrewoods.net/2012/11/02/analysing-southwarks-natural-geography/

I cannot give a lot of time in my day job to this group, but I look forward to seeing what it can achieve.

Tom Chance
Team Coordinator
LONDONASSEMBLY Green Group

City Hall, The Queen's Walk, London SE1 2AA
Tel: 020 7983 4963

GREATER LONDON AUTHORITY
EMAIL NOTICE:
The information in this email may contain confidential or privileged materials.
Please read the full email notice at http://www.london.gov.uk/email-notice