[open-sustainability] Alpha ODI Open Data Certificates: comments please!

Townsend J.H. J.Townsend at soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 09:52:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

Some of you will already be aware that at ODI we're working on a tool for giving people "Open Data Certificates", designed to help publishers understand what good open data looks like, including covering

* legal issues (licensing, ownership and privacy)
* practical issues (findability, accuracy, quality and guarantees)
* technical issues (locations, formats and trust)
* social issues (documentation, support and services)

There's a "vision" here:

https://github.com/theodi/open-data-certificate/wiki/Vision

an alpha version of the questionnaire on line at:

http://theodi.github.io/open-data-certificate/certificate.html

and some more explanatory text here:

http://theodi.github.io/open-data-certificate/

The point of the alpha version is to get input on whether the questions are the right ones and whether the pilot/standard/exemplar is pitched correctly. There's a bunch of stuff that *isn't* done, in particular to do with UX & back-end support. We'll be putting that in place over the next couple of months.

I'm really interested in any comments that this group have. The github project is here:

https://github.com/theodi/open-data-certificate

If you can add issues through github, or even do pull requests, that would be great, but of course we can also discuss on this mailing list.

Thanks,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison, Technical Director   theODI.org<http://theODI.org>