[open-sustainability] Data Explorer Mission on Carbon Data

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Tue Apr 9 11:30:42 UTC 2013

Dear All,

Next week - the School of Data team will pilot a Data Explorer Mission with
P2PU. This is a way to get people to explore a topic, while at the same
time building their data skills through experimentation and doing.

In light of Hans Rosling's speech at OKFestival, the topic of this first
data explorer mission is Carbon data, and we're reverse engineering a
guardian article published a while back on the topic. and encouraging
people to see new angles in the data and tell a story with them. For the
first time, we're piloting our badging system as well...

We're aiming to start quite basic, but the mission can get as ambitious as
the participants desire as they will all be working towards some kind of
project.

I wondered whether this would be of interest to anyone from the
open-sustainability group? Possible ways to get involved could be:

1) Participating in an expedition group (groups kept to around 10 people),
so it could be really handy to have people who know the topic and could
guide or facilitate with topic-specific knowledge
2) Writing some guest blog posts on what the juicy / tricky parts in carbon
data are that people should look out for, which we could feature on the
School of Data blog
3) Being willing to answer topic-specific questions if people have them!
4) We're starting with some basic data (
https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbdFF1QW00ckYzOG0yWkZqcUhnNDVlSWc&hl=en#gid=1),
but it would be super useful to know if there are any key or more up-to
date datasources we should point people to

Every exploration group will be different and we hope to see some great
projects coming out the other end,

Looking forward to it nd would love to hear the group's thoughts, You can
reach the team on schoolofdata at okfn.org !

Lucy

--
*Project Coordinator*