[open-sustainability] Ideas for data projects related to climate change

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Feb 6 14:19:18 UTC 2013

Dear Pierre,

This all sounds excellent.

I was initially thinking of doing small projects around key datasets
related to various aspects of CO2 emissions and climate change (perhaps
along the likes of our Europe's Energy project [1]).

But your suggestion sounds great, and I look forward to hearing more! :-)

All the best,

Jonathan

[1] http://energy.publicdata.eu/

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Pierre Chrzanowski <
pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,

> Here in France has just started a national and "want to be open" debate on
> energy transition which is supposed to end with a proposal for a policy
> framework on energy transition by the end of June [2].
>
> So, I am thinking of launching as simple one-stop shop website (
> transition-energetique.okfn.fr) on content related to energy transition
> that could feed the debate.
>
> Content could include: public and scientific datasets, scientific papers,
> dataviz and press or blog articles that highlight the debate with a good
> usage of open content.
> All of these should be curated by a group of independent people with
> skills in energy policy, economics, sustainable development.
>
> The main steps of the projects would be to :
> - set up an Energy Transition group on the datahub and/or a on the new
> French datahub beta.nosdonnees.fr for public and scientific data on
> energy transition
> - set up a similar group for open access articles (which platform to use?)
> - set up a google spreadsheet + listify or something similar for dataviz
> and blog and articles
> - set up the website transition-energetique.okfn.fr that will embed all
> this content in a engaging way
> - set the the group of curators
>
> Regarding the timeframe of the debate, this is something that we would
> like to launch by the end of February / start of March.
>
> Of course, this is something that could help us to call for CO2 data
> disclosure in the French Context and beyond.
>
> What do you think ?
> Do you have similar projects in mind ?
>

> [1]
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-sustainability/2013-February/000050.html
> [2] http://www.transition-energetique.gouv.fr/
>
> --
> *Pierre Chrzanowski*
> // Skype: pierre.chrzanowski // Twitter : piezanowski

Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>
Director of Policy and Ideas
The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/> |
@okfn<http://twitter.com/okfn>