[open-sustainability] Open Sustainability at OKCon

Katelyn Rogers katelyn.rogers at okfn.org
Mon Oct 14 09:41:36 UTC 2013

Hi everyone!

I am sorry I missed this meeting but am happy to see that there is obvious
interest in growing this Working Group. For those of you I have not met
yet, I am the Working Groups Community Manager at the Open Knowledge
Foundation. Here are my comments/ideas, hope this is useful (and not over
repetitive)

   - *Synergies with other Working Groups:* I think this is an excellent
   idea and something that I am very keen to make happen more. One easy way to
   identify some of these synergies is to have people active in two or more
   groups volunteers as the go between for the groups, publishing updates and
   identifying opportunities for collaboration.
   - *Campaigns*: I am very pleased to hear that the group is interested in
   being active in the FollowTheMoney and CO2 campaigns that we have going on,
   I am happy to help make this happen.
   - *Central Support: *I am more than happy to provide more central
   support for Open Sustainability activities/campaigns/projects and am happy
   to discuss with anyone about more sophisticated means of communication.

Next Steps:

   - *Local Strands:* As there are a number of local strands of this
   working group developing, it would be great to represent that on the
   website (see open science
local<http://science.okfn.org/community/local-groups/>),
   I think this would help people see where they can get involved and better
   demonstrate the different Open Sustainability activities taking place
   across the network
   - *Blog:* It is always nice to have people blogging! Are there people
   interested in helping both blog about Open Sustainability and solicit blogs
   about Open Sustainability from others to post on the website?
   - *Governance: *A number of the working groups have set up governance
   structures (see open GLAM <http://openglam.org/working-group/>) that
   allows more people to take an active role in the group. Are there people
   interested in setting something like this up (this is not the only option
   as well)?

I apologise for this lengthy message. I am excited to see enthusiasm to
further develop Open Sustainability. Let me know how I can help!

All the best,
Katelyn

On 10 October 2013 18:47, Jack Townsend <jack at jacktownsend.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Just got a little time to follow up from OKCon. Those who were there
> please chip in.
>
> Had a quick meeting on the Open Sustainability WG where we discussed:
>
>    - Potential synergies with other groups: Transport, Science,
>    Development, Cities…
>    - Working with the OKFN Follow the Money campaign with, focussing on
>    e.g. fossil fuel company influence (a la Open Oil/
>    Publishwhatyoupay.org)
>    - The OKFN OpenCO2 campaign, which hasn't made a lot of noise yet.
>    - What we could learn from the success of the Open Development WG -
>    particularly the sponsorship from the World Bank which has enabled them to
>    gain a full-time support from the central office..
>    - James Smith highlighted OpenAMEE <https://github.com/OpenAMEE>, a
>    powerful carbon emissions calculation tool that has been open-sourced
>    - Quinn Ferguson wondered if there are more advanced ways of
>    interacting than email lists!
>
> My talk on the main stage on Open Sustainability is here<http://new.livestream.com/accounts/5389255/okcon>
> .
>
> And our Globe-Town.org <http://globe-town.org/> sustainability app came
> second in the Linked Up <http://blog.okfn.org/2013/09/17/linkedup-open-education-veni-competition-the-winners/>open
> data in education competition, woot!
>
> Please keep tweeting @OpenSusty with any good open sustainability stories
> you see.
>
> All the best
> Jack
>
>    Web, Open Data & Sustainability University of Southampton
>
> @JackTownsend_  <https://twitter.com/JackTownsend_> jack at jacktownsend.net

Katelyn Rogers

Working Groups Community Manager  | katelyn.rogers at okfn.org
<https://twitter.com/joebloggs> |