[open-sustainability] IPCC report

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 29 14:54:58 UTC 2014

Thanks for the engagement

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Emanuil Tolev <emanuil at cottagelabs.com>wrote:

> I wonder if we can get DOI-s for the references or something like that. I
> haven't done enough text extraction myself...

Modern articles mainly have DOIs. BUT older ones may not and quite a lot of
references are books, resports, etc which don't have DOIs. They are also
harder to track down.

> If so, we could run them through http://howopenisit.org/ , automated
> understanding of rights is precisely what it's supposed to do :).
>
> At first the tool probably won't recognise most of the license statements,
> but we'll be able to get a breakdown of where they are hosted (i.e. which
> publishers / publishing platforms) by querying the back-end. Then I can add
> some of the license statements found on these websites (just follow the
> DOI-s manually) and hit them all again - then rinse, repeat. Fairly soon we
> should end up with a definitive license list for at least 50-60% of the
> refences since I expect 50-60% of them will be hosted with just a few big
> publishers.

Suspect it's more varied (I did look at this a year or two back). I'd guess
major publishers were no more than 35% (pure guess)

> Also with OAButton - my guess would be we ask for the data (get the data
> is an email) and match DOI-s to paywall hits. This could be an amazing
> complement to OpenArticleGauge (the howopenisit link above) since that
> focusses *entirely* on .. well, how "open" it is. It doesn't really deal
> with how closed a thing is, whether it has a paywall, requires a login...
> users' direct complaints on OAButton may provide a lot more in the "how
> closed" bit.
> Which is just as important if we're going to critique the openness of
> references of this report.

I think it's really valuable to do this. It would crowdcraft well.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics