[open-sustainability] IPCC report

Emanuil Tolev emanuil at cottagelabs.com
Wed Jan 29 15:08:21 UTC 2014

On 29 January 2014 14:54, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think it's really valuable to do this. It would crowdcraft well.

Yeah, we should really add crowdsourcing features to that automated tool
(we are in fact, right now in February). I don't think that it's feasible
to apply crowdcrafting to every single article's license (literally ask
users about every single output). But crowdsourcing license *statements*
themselves may be far more feasible. Those can then be used by automated
tools (they will be exposed via an API for whoever is interested in mining
publishers' website) and the automated portion of this particular tool to
find out the rights of all articles using the same license from that
publisher.

It doesn't sound like tech alone would complete this IPCC task then, but
even 35% coverage could be a nice way to get more people involved. Easier
to contribute when a task has been started than on a blank slate I guess.
We could make a crowdcrafting.org app out of the ones without a digital
handle which renders our newfangled tech useless. It'd be really simple ..
"you are doing reference 300 out of 6000, go find it in any way you can and
submit this here form about where / how you accessed it and is it publicly
available".

Greetings,
Emanuil