[open-sustainability] Opportunities for opening up UK climate-change related data to generate economic, social and environmental value

Jack Townsend jack at jacktownsend.net
Fri Jan 31 14:10:03 UTC 2014

Hi everyone

Had a promising meeting yesterday at the UK Cabinet Office about opening up data from the Departments of Energy and Climate Change, and Environment Farming and Rural Affairs. (It's clear that the latter has made a lot more progress on releasing data on data.gov.uk so far.)

There's a need to identify specific example opportunities in which opening up climate change related data will generate economic, social and of course environmental benefit. These could be from abroad, but are even better if local. It covers the whole piece from mitigation to adaptation, energy to flood prevention. Could be the creation of new businesses - such as Cleanweb startups - or community projects.

More specifically, there was a request for any further feedback on the National Energy Efficiency Data Framework, which just finished it's official consultation. If you didn't get a chance already, I can pass on any further feedback over the next week. Please note especially Table 4.1 starting on Page 14 that lists out specific datasets in consideration.

Another specific requests was for example opportunities with river level and flood data.

(Can email me directly on address below, or can discuss on the Open Sustainability list. Look forward to hearing any replies when I'm back at my desk on Tuesday.)

Thanks a lot
Jack

Web, Open Data & Sustainability		University of Southampton

@JackTownsend_ 					jack at jacktownsend.net