[open-sustainability] "Tackling Corruption through Open Data" research roundtable 5th December 2014

Thomas McGarvey thomas.mcgarvey at transparency.org.uk
Tue Oct 28 12:22:37 UTC 2014

Dear Carlos Somohano,
"Tackling Corruption through Open Data" research roundtable
Date & time: Friday, 5th December 2014, 10:00 hrs to 12:00hrs
Venue: Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
3 More London Riverside, London, SE1 2AQ

Transparency International UK would like to invite you to our final research roundtable discussion as part of our "Tackling Corruption through Open Data" research. The main purpose of the roundtable is to present the findings of our research and importantly, to hear feedback from our stakeholders. Your expertise and experience would be invaluable in ensuring the research is as robust as possible and to maximise the positive impact from our recommendations.

The focus of the research is on assessing official disclosure routes (FOIA and Open Data) and comparing them to unofficial disclosure routes (incl forms of Investigative Journalism, forms of Whistleblowing, other leaks etc) as a means of uncovering corruption and evaluating what can be done to strengthen the UK's open data regime. The research programme is funded by the EU and the UK research is run in partnership between researchers from TI-UK, Kellogg College at Oxford University and Nottingham University.

The roundtable participants will be a mix of around 30 stakeholders from across central government, local government, civic society, the media, academia, data intelligence experts and freedom of information campaigners.

We are pleased to confirm discussant remarks from:
·         Alan Bryce, Head of Counter Fraud with the Audit Commission
·         Richard Thomas CBE, Committee on Standards in Public Life and formerly the Information Commissioner

The event will be chaired by Robert Barrington, Executive Director of Transparency International UK.
We would be very much hope this invitation is of interest to you and look forward to hearing from you.
Please confirm your participation by replying to this email (Thomas.McGarvey at transparency.org.uk<mailto:Thomas.McGarvey at transparency.org.uk>)

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me.

[EU Crime logo]
Thomas McGarvey
Project Officer
Open Governance