[open-sustainability] Socio-ecological systems and resource mapping

Philipp Grunewald P.Grunewald at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Sep 29 16:54:16 UTC 2014

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your Email.

The first thing we had in mind were/are institutions (social systems: including human resources, information resources, etc. and their products or services <- treating these as resources [destined for other systems]). Institutions draw on other systems for their own resources which are, dependent on what they do highly variable, for example timber from forest systems, oil and other natural resources, the above mentioned human and information resources that originate in other social systems, etc.

Resource mapping is usually concerned with locating resources on geographical type maps (e.g. PRM<http://www.forestpeoples.org/topics/environmental-governance/participatory-resource-mapping>). Whilst that is a valuable thing to do we would argue that the problem with that is that it gives the impression that resources are static. If we map interactions between systems (e.g. dynamic network illustrating systems’ relationships) one could draw out how systems influence each other’s condition; emphasising the processes rather than states.

Yes, other use cases are imagined. If this works than one could use that in all sort of fields that look at natural systems and their interactions. Also, the same underlying idea of mapping interactions also applies to social interactions (an area I am more familiar with as a social scientist). We are looking for more people interested in this to flesh this out.

I am not sure if I get your particular example. Difficult to say without knowing what is meant by “this system”.
From the point about ‘without challenging their identities’ I take that what you miss from what I said is an element of judgement (what “usage” of other systems is positive and what negative). Judgement would depend on the character individual interrelationships take; we think that fostering institutions capability to see themselves as embedded in other socio-ecological systems is an end in itself because it is likely to increase transparency, etc. However, if I did not understand the point you were trying to make please let me know.

Also, my Email address is p.grunewald at lboro.ac.uk<mailto:p.grunewald at lboro.ac.uk> for anyone who prefers to get in touch off-list.

Thanks again for your interest Jack.
Best wishes,