[Open-transport] Open511: a (possible) standard for traffic related open data

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Thu Dec 6 20:09:43 UTC 2012

Hi there,

We (Open North with some collaborators) are releasing today the first draft
of the open511 API specification: http://opennorth.github.com/Open511API/ .
Basically, it is a proposal for an API to publish road events (and
potentially other types of data) like what exists in the transit world
(GTFS, SIRI) and municipal requests (Open311).

We intend to have 2 more iterations of the API in early 2013, so we invite
people interested in the topic to join the mailing list (
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/open511 ) and submit
questions/issues (
https://github.com/opennorth/Open511API/issues?sort=created&state=open ).

Although it borrows the "511" north-american short phone number for road
related issues, it can be applied anywhere. So if you are interested in the
topic or know people who might be, please do not hesitate to spread the
word :)

Stéphane