[Open-transport] OTD Handbook update

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Tue Oct 9 20:34:47 UTC 2012

My take: biking should be part of the transportation initiatives. As said,
some of my contact here in Canada/U.S targets bike for open data. It tend
to be easier for than to grow bike use than transit ridership (because it's
costly to support more ridership). So making biking easier is a natural fit
and I feel that more and more would like to rely on good bike-related data.

The 3 items I've heard the most until now:
- Bike lane/bike friendly road network. Organizations like Google do gather
this data but do not make it open... so useless for other uses
- Bike parking/spots. More and more cities even have some "boxes" to store
the bike. Sometimes it's privately owns, so it's more difficult to get the
data... but private companies providing bike boxes won't be against
figuring in a dataset which will bring them some potential customers (but
the maintenace is harder)
- Bike sharing system. The Montreal's system (Bixi) is available in several
other places (Washington, London, etc.) so the same apps usually cover
those cities, but it's not standard enough to have some third party (think
Google again) to integrate this data in their apps.

I don't have much experience in participating to this kind of document
either ;) My way of doing: read the open data handbook (the original one)
to give an idea of the level of detail expected, the relevant stuff to put
there. Then, read the current draft and thing where you could fit the bike
data. It would be great if some other people like Pieter could confirm that
bike is in the scope before actually writing something... but with Google
Docs, it's quite easy to undo some changes...

Cheers

Steph

--
Stéphane Guidoin