[Open-transport] Open Transport Handbook - Request for Participation

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Wed Sep 26 16:13:02 UTC 2012

Hi Pieter,

I could bring some elements about traffic data since I'm working on this
currently but I don't really see how to plug it in the current organization
of the domain.

I see 2 possibles approach (non-exclusive)

   - Standardization vs non-standardization: Transit is a good example
   where light-weight standardization help the data to be used very
   efficiently once opened. On the other hand, in the traffic world, we have
   very complex, frequently unused standard. so even when the data is
   published/open, it's a pain to use it. There's probably something around
   that.
   - Ownership of the data: in the traffic world, a lot of information is
   coming from the private sector. So we could do a short investigation about
   how some gov are managing this and raising the need for govs to have a
   better control of this data.

Besides that, it's possible to show some existing initiatives (for example
San Francisco and NYC do have some traffic APIs but we are far from the
successes of GTFS for example.

(Disclaimer: I'm working on a project named Open511 that aims at
standardizing traffic data... it's non profit)

Steph

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Pieter Colpaert
<pieter.colpaert at okfn.org>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We are finalising the general outline of the Open Transport Handbook by
> Wednesday. If you would like another chapter to be included, please add
> the name of it (you can use the comment section if you don't have
> permission to change the document yet). We will freeze the outline on
> Wednesday.
>
> Next steps:
>  * Lock a chapter: add your name to a certain chapter and tell everyone
> you're going to write the chapter by typing something like this:
>
> //Pieter Colpaert is writing this from his perspective as ...
>
>  * We wanted to get a first version of all chapters by the first of
> October. We understand that this is quite early, but let's try to pull
> this off anyhow.
>
>  * Starting the first of October we will give an editorial team 1 week
> to produce feedback.
>
>  * Starting the 7th of October, the feedback can be processed.
>
>  * Miet is going to do the graphic design starting the 14th of October.
> If you'd like pictures to be included, add them to the doc, but don't
> forget to add a link to the original picture, and don't forget to
> attribute if it's a CC BY licensed picture.
>
>  * We want a final version to be ready by the first of November.
>
> The link:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j0T72DyPHZ--Tunw0holehidgCoGP7ujHsOFHeFe1YA/edit
>
> Start writing on this today, you won't regret writing history.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Pieter
> --
> OKFN Belgium vzw/asbl