[Open-transport] What is an open format/standard (GTFS, etc.)

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Thu Jul 18 16:55:54 UTC 2013

> What would have to change about the GTFS change process, as defined at
> https://developers.google.com/transit/gtfs/changes, for you to feel
> comfortable saying is passed point #3?

1. The main comment would be about who is the editor of the spec. Usually
in a consensus based mechanism, the editor(s) of the spec is chosen by the
group as well as a "facilitator". Editors and facilitator can be replaced.
In the case of the GTFS, what I understand is that Google remain the main
editor. (although, you might argue that you don't see anybody with the
interest of spending some time maintain the spec, which is a valid argument
is some cases)

2. From what I discussed (and on this side I'm guilty of having heard only
one side of the story), the process is not so straight-forward since one
agency I discussed with felt that some changes they have asked for and were
supported by other players did not make it in the spec.

(Note : I used GTFS because it's the one that came in my mind, but in the
open data/format spec, several other format fall in the situation... in a
much worse sense)

Stéphane Guidoin
Director, Transportation
Open North