[Open-transport] Real-time movement data for Channel Tunnel

Thomas thomaskoch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 14:01:24 UTC 2014

We've had a simple REST api with realtime departure times for years, than
about 2 years ago we've gotten access to static timetables. Now recently
the release-path for realtime push feeds became more hard. Three months ago
a push feed of realtime departure times became available. Unfortunately
there are still no realtime arrival times available anywhere but the HAFAS
website.
Further complication is that the Dutch network authority (ProRail)
transferred the passenger-information division to the largest operator
(Nederlandse Spoorwegen), despite anti-trust objects by competitors.
Another complication is that Nederlandse Spoorwegen insists on using their
42% daughter-company 9292|Reisinformatiegroep BV (probably most comparable
to the ATOC) for the distribution of this data, instead of a organization
both experienced with realtime-data and IT servicing such as Rockshore.

Also the license under which the data becomes available is much much
restrictive than NetworkRail's, there are clauses about the data not being
allowed to measure performance and not to "damage" the operator beyond a
"non-judgemental view of truthful facts".
On the bus/tram/metro aspect we're very much leading though, the open-data
push feed of realtime bus/tram/metro delay's now has a 99% nation-wide
coverage and will be 100% in a matter of weeks. That data is under a
permissive license but an increasing amount of traffic-authorities are
releasing it under CC-0, currently those are the Province of Noord-Holland
and the metropolitian region's of Utrecht, The Hague and Amsterdam.
Here's<https://twitter.com/openOV/status/417421475319009281/photo/1>a
map overview, light-green is CC0, dark-green GOVI license, pink-red is
soon unavailable and red is not available.

Maybe we'll see train movement data, such as available in the UK, one day
in the Netherlands, but i won't be as simple as to "just ask" ;). For now
we have to do it with just real-time bus/tram/metro positions on
www.ovradar.nl.

Kind regards,

Thomas Koch