[Open-transport] Transit tracker for worldwide GTFS feed

Uli Müller | geOps uli.mueller at geops.de
Fri May 2 15:22:42 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We would like to point to a new web application that visualizes public
transit movements from currently more than 70 GTFS feeds from all over
the world.

http://tracker.geops.ch

This tracker is heavily optimized in order to allow maximum data
throughput and performance. As you will easily realize the movement of
each vehicle is very smooth. The efficiency of server and client allows
to optionally speed up the visualization by many factors. In the current
implementation you may run the visualizaton 6o times faster than
real-time what will give you a nice impression of the patterns within a
schedule. Please note that all feeds get loaded at once, so there is no
manual or explicitly coded switch from one feed to the other. The
visibilty of single vehicles only depends on the visible map extent and
the scale of the map. With this approach the tracker has the potential
to aggregate GTFS feeds for really large areas and serve as a planning
tool across the borders of individual transport agencies. Real-time data
is used where available (currently, there is real-time data for San
Francisco and the Netherlands).

The tracker is based on TrajServ and TraVIC, open-source server and
client components that have been developed by Patrick Brosi as his
Master Thesis. We are happy to have Patrick in our team now.

We hope you have fun with the tracker and appreciate any feedback.

Best regards

Uli Müller

--
web www.geops.ch