[Open-transport] Semi-open (non free for commercial use) data

Stefan Kaufmann transit at shutterworks.org
Sat May 3 23:20:58 UTC 2014

On 02.05.2014 22:52, Stéphane Guidoin wrote:

> So questions to the wisdom of the group:
> - Does anybody have some example of two-tiers licences

I am not aware of any such an example in Europe.

> - If yes, does anybody had a look to the boundary of "commercial" (e.g
> does a web-app with some ads is commercial?).
>
> To me the definition of "commercial" is not very well defined when it
> comes to open data.

Exactly. This has been an ongoing controversy for _years_ within the
Creative Commons licensing model. See for instance
<http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/9/11/16331/0655>, or
<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Defining_Noncommercial>.

I agree with Pieter and Stefan dK on focusing on SLA rather than trying
to define “commercial”.

In my opinion, however, the discussion about the IP status of schedules
is more than just academic. The whole principle of applying CC or ODbL
licenses hinges around the fact that an IP holder _can_ apply them to
work they have intellectual property rights over – which is questionable
when talking about transit schedules[1].

Unfortunately, <http://simia.net/wiki/Free_data> appears to be down
right now, but I like the approach outlined in that article[2]: If you
want data to be reused, attach the CC-0 license to it, and _only_ do so
because you want everybody to know they can use it however they want to;
_not_ because you think you can exert IP rights over them. Most likely,
you don't. And you shouldn't.

regards,
-stk

[1] I can only speak for Germany, which is based on a completely
different IP rights system than the Canadian one (droit d'auteur vs.
copyright), but my interpretation of FoPS 70825 is that transit schedule
data does not meet the requirements to achieve IP status.

[2] The excerpt I still have here: