[Open-transport] naming: Transit vs Transport

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Fri Feb 20 09:39:23 UTC 2015

Hi Elf,

RE transport, transportation or transit, see
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=146246 → native EN
speakers don't have a clue either ;)

But... MapOurTransit sounds to me like you're going to map the food
transit, from eating to elimination in stool (don't know whether native
speakers would make this connection as well). Thus, I would prefer
MapOurTransport.

Furthermore, be aware that FixMyTransport already exists (yet it has
been closed down): http://www.fixmytransport.com/

Kind regards,

Pieter

On 2015-02-20 09:44, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> We did some more work in last two weeks on tooling for generating GTFS
> feeds based on crowdsourced data: mapping with GPS devices + editing OSM
> + manual entry of timetable information into spreadsheets. Please expect
> proper announcement with links in next days!
>
> We consider naming it in a similar way to FixMyStreet - MapOurTransit, I
> wonder how do you see use of Transit / Transport terminology?
>
> GTFS uses General *Transit* Feed Specification, also *Transit*
> Developers group[2]. Then *Transportation* Camp and of course this Open
> *Transport* WG.
>
> I don't see it as a big deal, still would appreciate your feedback which
> we would take into account in terminology which we use in that project.
>
> Thank you :)
>
> [1] https://developers.google.com/transit/gtfs/
> [2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/transit-developers
> [3] http://transportationcamp.org/