[Open-transport] naming: Transit vs Transport

andrew byrd andrew at fastmail.net
Fri Feb 20 09:59:08 UTC 2015

Hello,

Indeed usage varies even within the English language.

"Transportation" (US English) is usually called "transport" (UK
English). This is the very general term for any mechanized way of
movement, including bicycles but generally not walking unless it's in a
multi-modal combination. It includes private cars and anything else that
moves people or goods (I may be missing some of the nuances of UK
English but this is the basic idea).

"Transit" or "public transit" (US English) mean shared vehicles like
buses and trains, but generally not taxis. "Mass transit" usually refers
to the heavier, high capacity modes like suburban rail. The equivalent
UK English term is "public transport". Note that private cars are never
referred to as "transit", as transit is connoted to be public, and it
doesn't include freight transport.

The "food digestion process" meaning that Pieter mentioned for "transit"
does exist in French, but if it exists in US English at all it must be a
completely technical usage that only doctors or biologists would know.
It might have that meaning in other Latin languages (Elf I suppose you
can evaluate that yourself for Italian) but most French people I know
who work in transportation technology have seen the English word
"transit" so much that they will readily use it with this meaning in
conversation.

And good suggestion Pieter, WordReference is an excellent resource for
this kind of translation questions.

-Andrew