No subject

Sun Dec 12 18:29:16 UTC 2010

the protocol for commenting, editing, etc? The Discussion pages seem
unused.  In-line commenting without Etherpad style highlighting is going to
get pretty hard to follow unless something like the Wikipedia indenting
commenting style is used.

Tom

--0015174c45b094550f04b13aa147

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Jonathan Gray <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:jonathan.gray at okfn.org">jonathan.gray at okfn.org</a>&gt;</span> wr=
ote:<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
Due to the breadth of this (not just books, but films, artworks, etc)<br>
- what about renaming this to the Open Metadata Handbook? I think this<br>
r></div><div>I think it would be useful to put some reasonable bounds on th=
e scope. =A0Doing a wonderful job on books seems like a fine first step to =
me, but if you really want to expand it to all creative works (a HUGE and v=
aried domain), why not name it Creative Works Metadata Handbook or somethin=
g similar. =A0&quot;Open Metadata&quot; is basically unbounded in scope. =
=A0I hope that&#39;s not intentional.</div>
9;t see any distinctions made between descriptions of a work (i.e. a catalo=
g entry) and a reference to a work (e.g. citation, bibliography entry, read=
ing list item, etc). =A0Although they&#39;re arguably both just references =
with different amounts of detail, to my mind they are different things with=
 different properties (in the degenerative case, in the linked data world, =
the latter is just a link/pointer to the former).</div>
onal designation seems moot. =A0People have the metadata that they have. =
=A0You may be able to get them to format it a certain way. =A0You may be ab=
le to recommend that they make a best effort at reconciling their data and =
providing strong identifiers. =A0It,however, seems pretty unlikely that the=
y&#39;ll go off populate some new field in their database just because it w=
as marked &quot;mandatory.&quot;</div>
e which describes the protocol for commenting, editing, etc? The Discussion=
 pages seem unused. =A0In-line commenting without Etherpad style highlighti=
ng is going to get pretty hard to follow unless something like the Wikipedi=
a indenting commenting style is used.</div>

--0015174c45b094550f04b13aa147--