No subject

Sun Dec 12 18:29:16 UTC 2010

> > but one of the papers in the PMR symposium was communally authored in
> Latex on Github.
>
> Please can you say which one?

 I have copied in Noel who was the lead author on the Blue Obelisk Reloaded
paper and also Egon

Noel
We are thinking of using Github as a communal tool for managing Open
Bibliography, with each contributing BibSoup having its own Github node.
IIRC the BO paper was authored on Github - we'd be very grateful for a
summary of the pros and cons of GH for communal authoring of resoureces. In
this case we would be authoring JSON. (I have noted that there is a eGit
editor for Eclipse - do you know of other tools?)

> It could be a big win for us to encourage and support use of Github for
> LaTeX/BibTeX as the
> BibTeX component would then be right there for piping into BibSoup.
>
> In particular, I would like to try using Git for my own LaTeX/BibTeX
> projects which are extensive.
>
> Does Git provide a suitable plain text editor?
> If its good enough for editing code, it should be good enough for editing
> JSON.
> So maybe we get a suitable JSON editor, though perhaps without validation.
> And why not encourage Git to provide a JSON validation service?

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics

--f46d044267a003aea404b1f0bbee

4:21 PM, Jim Pitman <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pitman at stat.ber=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;p=
adding-left:1ex;">
&gt; but one of the papers in the PMR symposium was communally authored in =
Latex on Github.<br>
n Noel who was the lead author on the Blue Obelisk Reloaded paper and also =
managing Open Bibliography, with each contributing BibSoup having its own G=
ithub node. IIRC the BO paper was authored on Github - we&#39;d be very gra=
teful for a summary of the pros and cons of GH for communal authoring of re=
soureces. In this case we would be authoring JSON. (I have noted that there=
 is a eGit editor for Eclipse - do you know of other tools?)<br>
8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
It could be a big win for us to encourage and support use of Github for LaT=
eX/BibTeX as the<br>
BibTeX component would then be right there for piping into BibSoup.<br>
In particular, I would like to try using Git for my own LaTeX/BibTeX projec=
ts which are extensive.<br>
Does Git provide a suitable plain text editor?<br>
If its good enough for editing code, it should be good enough for editing J=
SON.<br>
So maybe we get a suitable JSON editor, though perhaps without validation.<=
br>
And why not encourage Git to provide a JSON validation service?<br>
kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-lef=
t: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;"><font color=3D"#888888=
">
--Jim<br>
t<br>Reader in Molecular Informatics<br>Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry<=

--f46d044267a003aea404b1f0bbee--