[openbiblio-dev] Tutorial on BibJSON

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 17 18:29:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> Ok. That's different to the concept of object that I usually work with,
> which requires values to be represented by identifiers, preferably URIs.
> Would your definition include having the names be controlled, in the sense
> that "Jim Pitman" would always be "Jim Pitman" and not "James Pitman" or "J
> Pitman"?
>
> I think we should accommodate both approaches. Many people who compile
bibliographies are not going to be able to disambiguate authors - e.g. the
main search engines. I am one of the few people who can be easily
disambiguated (there are only 9 Murray-Rusts) unless grossly mangled.
BibSoup tells it as it is and allows people to normlaize or not.

Mark and Jim will know better than me but I thought we were able to write
something like:
author: {
"id": "pmr12345",
"name": "Murray-Rust, P."
}

and later
author: {
"id": "pmr12345",
"name": "P. M.Rust"
}
# this is "wrong" but the id is correct. This would allow tools to refer to
a normalised collection of Authors, while preserving the original
(mis)spelling

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust