[openbiblio-dev] BibSoup in AnimalGarden

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 19 22:13:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > If the latter then we can presumably have an import on the server.
>

> It is the latter, and such an import is what I am advocating. Zotero and
> Mendeley do not make it
> easy to get at their sQLite, or to otherwise publicly export data, but we
> should find ways to do this.
> It would help to have some Zotero and Mendeley users willing to
> experiment. An issue is that
> a typical academic user usually does not want to expose all of their local
> biblio data, e.g. what they
> are reading as part of their current research, so it is essential to find
> a way of publicly exporting suitably
> tagged parts of the dataset kept in an app like  Z or M, and make it easy
> for users to manage privacy of their
> biblio data collections. Hopefully, we can facilitate this by encouraging
> present biblio maintenance
> systems to provide public BibJSON exports.

> We are a long way from being able to offer a personal biblio collection
> app comparable to  M or Z, and I think we should avoid competing in that
> space, rather aim to
> dominate the public biblio space by integration of data from whatever
> private maintenance platform.

We should not compete. If we are dealing with (say) departmental
bibliographies, then there is no problem with privacy - quite the reverse.

Privacy is expensive. It requires people setting up their own local
installations which requires considerabel support in the market. If this is
done with servers then there is a privacy issue. We shoudl avoid both
approches and concentrate on  public / Open data

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics