[openbiblio-dev] Collections in Bibliographica

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Mar 28 17:20:57 UTC 2011

Quoting Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU>:

> Arent there issues with Dewey being proprietary? Cant we use LOC or
> other more open
> classification schemes?

LCC is legally open but functionally closed. Either you buy all 41
volumes, or you subscribe ($$, but I can't find the price) to it
online, or you buy it as a file for $4000.

Plus it's damned complicated to use.

DDC is "open" only at the summary level (3 digits), and in theory you
cannot even use it in a library unless you pay a license fee. UDC
(based on DDC) may be more open than DDC but I have a hard time
figuring out what their license verbiage means:

http://www.udcc.org/licence.htm

One option that I've chatted with folks about is that of taking a
whole lot of library records and extracting class numbers from them in
relationship with subject headings and keywords in titles. That would
create a topical "correspondence" even though we wouldn't have the
taxonomic structure. If it is taken from actual bibliographic data, I
don't think it would be subject to the license terms. ??

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net