[openbiblio-dev] Pubmed data: URI forms for journals

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue May 3 16:23:04 UTC 2011

Quoting Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com>:

> Wouldn't the best approach to be have the registrar mint these URIs?
> e.g. http://www.issn.org/issn/1234-1234
>
> Have they been approached?
>
> Tom

I suspect that minting the URIs isn't a problem (they could even just
bless the pattern you give here) -- resolution is a bit more
difficult. Would it be worthwhile to ask them to agree on the pattern
and leave resolution to a later time? Are there risks?

kc

p.s. The W3C LLD report will come out strongly for the creation of
URIs for existing identifiers, but will also suggest that if
organizations do not move quickly that someone else may take on the
task (as has happened for FRBR and MeSH) -- so it's best to
collaborate with faster-moving actors than to ignore the issue.
p.p.s. I may be able to get a few 'examples' mentioned in the
report... issn would be an obvious one

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net