[openbiblio-dev] Virtuoso versus 4store

Owen Stephens owen at ostephens.com
Fri May 13 11:36:52 UTC 2011

Just a few things that may be relevant... in terms of thinking about how we
build applications on top of linked data I think this summary
http://linkeddatabook.com/editions/1.0/#htoc84 by Tom Heath and Christian
Bizer is helpful

The 'Discovery' (was RDTF) http://rdtf.mimas.ac.uk/ programme is all about
infrastructure and aggregation of resource descriptions, so it may well be
worth talking to the JISC/MIMAS people about this aspect.

Not sure what criteria are for choice of triplestore? Is there any reason to
be just talking about Virtuoso and 4store? If any interest we've been using
SwiftOWLIM for the Lucero project - although not dealing with the volume of
data that bibliographica is, and have been experimenting with BigOWLIM in
the background (both available freely, although the latter has charges for
'real world' use - as opposed to research, evaluation and development
purposes when it is free). One of the attractions was the support for Sesame
which (we hope) will make interactions with the triplestore more
transportable should we change in the future.

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com