[openbiblio-dev] Virtuoso versus 4store

William Waites ww at styx.org
Fri May 13 12:57:13 UTC 2011

* [2011-05-13 12:36:52 +0100] Owen Stephens <owen at ostephens.com> écrit:

] Just a few things that may be relevant... in terms of thinking about how we
] build applications on top of linked data I think this summary
] http://linkeddatabook.com/editions/1.0/#htoc84 by Tom Heath and Christian
] Bizer is helpful
]
] The 'Discovery' (was RDTF) http://rdtf.mimas.ac.uk/ programme is all about
] infrastructure and aggregation of resource descriptions, so it may well be
] worth talking to the JISC/MIMAS people about this aspect.
]
] Not sure what criteria are for choice of triplestore? Is there any reason to
] be just talking about Virtuoso and 4store? If any interest we've been using
] SwiftOWLIM for the Lucero project - although not dealing with the volume of
] data that bibliographica is, and have been experimenting with BigOWLIM in
] the background (both available freely, although the latter has charges for
] 'real world' use - as opposed to research, evaluation and development
] purposes when it is free). One of the attractions was the support for Sesame
] which (we hope) will make interactions with the triplestore more
] transportable should we change in the future.

OWLIM is not free software so is not useable for OKF's purposes. This
is "free" in the sense of freedom not cost. For other projects it may
be a viable choice.

TDB is outperformed by Virtuoso and 4store which is why these are the
ones being configured.

Part of the reason for my 96 byte strawman to the semantic-web@ list
was to try to get an idea of the real properties of these things, BSBM
is useful for measuring raw performance but says little about
operational difficulties or or resource requirements (and I note their
benchmark machine is sized roughly according to my strawman).

If you are aware of any published rigorous comparisons of the
alternatives that cover actual real-world engineering requirements
from RDTF or elsewhere I would love to hear about them.

Cheers,
-w
--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>