[openbiblio-dev] Bibliographic Metadata Guide is now on Wiki !

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Nov 8 20:08:30 UTC 2011

Quoting Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU>:

>> All, do you think the list of minimum metadata elements for literary works
>> is sufficiently accurate & detailed ? Shall we move on to different
>> types of works? e.g. images, movies, sounds ?
>
> I would stay away from these difficult and complex data types for
> now, and focus on end-to-end delivery of
> metadata from book and journal data sources to naive users for some
> significant book collections.

I agree with Jim. In in the spirit of incremental development it would
be best to get some experience with the book and journal article data
before moving on.

> There is the issue of exactly how/where these
> optional/recommended/.... R/NR fit relative to the BibJSON spec. I
> think
> they are something like an "application profile" relative to DC.

Yes, and DCMI is starting up a second round of work on the application
profiles with the goal of getting a good, re-usable data structure.

Constraints on cardinality should not be part of the definition of
data elements but instead should be related to an application. For
example, some systems may need to limit the number of authors for
purely practical reasons. (I worked on a system that limited to 99
authors, and some articles -- few but some -- would have exceeded that
limit.) That wouldn't make their data incompatible with that of others.

I have to say that I truly admire the REPEC approach, with good
guidance on what the data elements mean, and then templates for
filling them in. If the templates could be driven by schemas, then
users could work within the constraints of their systems.

I believe we already talked about having a very, very limited number
of required data elements -- essentially only those absolutely
necessary to process the data (plus one or two bibliographic fields --
title seems essential).

kc

--
Karen Coyle