[openbiblio-dev] zotero / csl / mendeley JSON schema-

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Nov 25 14:56:24 UTC 2011

Without looking at all of the specific bibjson fields... my guess
would be that the only fields that you can require will be

- id (administrative, id of the metadata)
- date (administrative, date of the metadata)
- title (can be a supplied title if the resource does not have one)
- type of resource (journal article, book, sound recording, etc.)

If you require a creator of the resource then you have to allow the
creator to be a corporation or an event (e.g. a conference) or
"anonymous". The latter is only helpful when you know that an item was
published anonymously, rather than a situation where the author is
currently unknown or not supplied.

BTW, one difficult area will be date of the resource when this is not
known precisely. Date differences make matching of citations
difficult. If you know that a date is approximate rather than exact
you can take that into account. However, this would require that there
be two different date fields, one for "known and precise" and one for
"best guess." The other situation is when you know the year but not
the issue date. I suppose that could be handled by simply giving the
year, and matching would take that into account?

kc