[openbiblio-dev] zotero / csl / mendeley JSON schema

Edmund Chamberlain emc59 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 25 09:27:41 UTC 2011

Similar to the Zotero Spec, the OpenURL / Coins format is a handy list
of basic criteria for useful citations.

http://ocoins.info/cobg.html

OpenURL only goes so far as a spec, but covers most valuable scholarly
communication. This is the standard that Zotero often scrapes, either
from a URL or embedded microdata. Seems to be a lot of overlap.

Given the philosophy behind BibJson, I'd also be wary of defining any
required fields. There may be a system admin / usability reason for
requiring them though.

We've had all sorts of fun in the Cambridge catalogue trying to identify
purpose and origin of records with no author /title.

On 24/11/2011 14:26, Mark MacGillivray wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is a JSON schema used by Zotero / CSL that covers a lot of the
> sort of biblio metadata one might want to put in a bibliographic
> record:
>
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/blob/master/csl-data.json
>
> This may form a basis for a good set of recommended keys for any
> representation of bibliographic metadata in JSON.
>
> This also brings up the further point about bibjson - what keys would
> we define, if any, as required? I am still for being very flexible on
> this, and accepting pretty much any valid JSON. But where people want
> to rely on being able to pull particular values from within particular
> keys, some consensus is required (although we can also just use
> namespaces on the keys).
>
> So a question for the list to consider - to what extent would a
> community convention be valuable for sharing metadata in this format?
>

> Mark

Edmund Chamberlain
Systems Development Librarian
Electronic Services and Systems