[openbiblio-dev] [bibserver] changing handling of collections from frontend to get them working properly again now that collections are stored as separate objects (937d3e2)

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sun Oct 9 20:26:51 UTC 2011

Mark and I definitely think alike on this; I'm nodding yes to what's
here. In particular I agree that "collection" is a set that is the
result of a query, not a data structure. With Flickr as the analogy,
tags create sets/collections, and there can be any number of
collections with overlapping members. Although I'd lean more toward
the library approach of having at least some "special" tags, like
publisher, journal, etc. (Some other day I'll mention how hard it is
to define "this journal". :-))

I have a question, though, about bibjson. Well, maybe more than one.

- Is bibjson what some of us would call a "transmission format"? That
is, is it intended for sending bib data from one source to another?
- the converse of that is: is bibjson intended as a storage/database format?

I ask this because the concept of collection appears to be hard-wired
into bibjson, which then doesn't meet what I read below as the
"collections are the result of queries." And it also looks like
records are subordinate to collection, meaning that collection must be
present.

Another question is about update. Are updates effected by re-sending
the entire collection with new and old information? Basically, a
replacement for the collection? Will there be updating taking place in
Bibsoup? (It sounds like it from Mark's list, but I'm not sure.)
Related: will one update a collection? or a bib record for a resource?

That's a start.

kc

--
Karen Coyle