[openbiblio-dev] OpenBiblio call tomorrow

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Feb 3 10:58:58 UTC 2012

On 1 February 2012 15:38, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>
>> My big desire would be to see:
>>
>> a) a prioritized (e.g. business value) backlog of top level user
>> stories / work areas for both dev and community coord (comms, events
>> etc). Task planning could then run off these top level items.
>>
>> b) Development of an approximate roadmap for next 1-2 months based on these.
>
> +1 to those from me.
> My big concern is that despite recent advances on other fronts we have two target milestones from some months ago
> which have not been achieved:
> a) installation of at least one public facing bibserver on a machine not controlled by cottagelabs/OKF

These aren't a priority without some obvious committed person who
wants to said installation and deployment. Several devs have deployed
it without a problem. In my opinion, providing a good hosted option
(be that bibsoup itself or hosted instances) are much more important
than this.

> b) customization at least one bibserver for  specific editorial purposes, to suit the needs of some biblio
> curator.

Again we need some clear lead and some clear commitment from a third
party to do this.

> I think these should be at the top of current priorities.
> It seems customization of a bibserver should best be done by cottagelabs/OKF, with a longterm SaS model, as the hurdle for
> a) seems higher than anticipated.  We have to learn what are the obstacles to a) and how to get around them.

a) isn't that hard but it depends on having a sysadmin willing to
deploy ES and python.

Rufus