[openbiblio-dev] OpenBiblio call tomorrow

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Feb 1 15:38:24 UTC 2012

Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> My big desire would be to see:
>
> a) a prioritized (e.g. business value) backlog of top level user
> stories / work areas for both dev and community coord (comms, events
> etc). Task planning could then run off these top level items.
>
> b) Development of an approximate roadmap for next 1-2 months based on these.

+1 to those from me.
My big concern is that despite recent advances on other fronts we have two target milestones from some months ago
which have not been achieved:
a) installation of at least one public facing bibserver on a machine not controlled by cottagelabs/OKF
b) customization at least one bibserver for  specific editorial purposes, to suit the needs of some biblio
curator.
I think these should be at the top of current priorities.
It seems customization of a bibserver should best be done by cottagelabs/OKF, with a longterm SaS model, as the hurdle for
a) seems higher than anticipated.  We have to learn what are the obstacles to a) and how to get around them.
Main problem is that any client site needs two roles: sys admin and editoral. Rarely if ever can these be filled by one person.
Once we have figured out how to get around these obstacles, we need to industrialize the process to increase adoptions,
with systematic community coordination, and figure out how to constitute BKN to achieve this most effectively.

--Jim