[openbiblio-dev] Bibliographic metadata sets

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Feb 8 18:01:03 UTC 2012

Primavera De Filippi <primavera.defilippi at okfn.org> wrote:

> I am compiling a list of open bibliographic (meta)datasets to incorporate
> into the Open Metadata Handbook.
> http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=Open_Metadata_Handbook/Data_Integration&stable=0#Retrieving_data

Great start. There are a lot of nuances about meaning of "free and open access" which it would be best not to ignore. With the exception of things that are explicitly given with PD or CC licenses, there are about as many murky pseudo-opn licensing conditions as there are pseudo-open datasets. There is opportunity to profitably cross link to the IsItOpenData effort, also to
BKN develpment. I would like to see this list maintained in a more
machine-readable format than Wikimedia easily affords. But a hand-edited list in the wiki is a great start.

> I was wondering whether such list already exist anywhere,

Not as far as I know, except in some people's heads.

> whether you can think of anything that i should add to the list.

I can add many entries. Will try to organize as a BibJSON dataset.
I'd love to see discussion of how best to manage such a dataset
collaboratively. Wikimedia with some discipline about the structure of entries may be adequate for the short term, but we should be able to do better than that.  I'll be glad to advise/assist further.

--Jim