[openbiblio-dev] Fwd: Open Metadata Handbook

Primavera De Filippi primavera.defilippi at okfn.org
Thu Feb 9 20:08:09 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Step 1 of the Open Metadata Handbook  is complete:

the handbook has been restructured and re-written for a larger audience and
in a more basic language.

Current version of the handbook is available at the following address:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Open_Metadata_Handbook

subdivided into 5 main sections:

1. An introductory section providing a definition of the most basic concepts

2. A definition of open bibliographic metadata, in terms of legal and
technical requirements.

3. A technical overview of different metadata standards used in the
bibliographic context.

4. A section on data integration explaining how to aggregate data from
different sources

5. finally, an appendix with relevant documents or information

Step 2 is starting:

- we need you to peer-review it

- we need you to contribute to it

- we need you to spread it around your community and involve more people

- we need you to help us make it more attractive and interesting to read:
metadata is fun   :)

This includes, inter alia:

     * providing examples, case studies, personal notes

     * making graphics, infographics, or illustration of any kind

     * comments or suggestion on anything you would like to see in there

Looking forward to your feedback !

Primavera