[openbiblio-dev] Fwd: Open Metadata Handbook

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 23:31:28 UTC 2012

Thanks very much Primavera - looks very thorough though I have read all of
it. Nice to see the Open Bibliographic Principles

In open-science/access we are going to be annotating bibliographic entries
with metadata ABOUT openness and restrictions of rhe referenced object.
E.g. "this entry points to a paper which is in the public domain". "There
is no information about ownership" "the paper carries a copyright notice".
"this paper is labelled as Open Access" (doesn't mean it is necessarily
OKD-compliant). Are there any vocabularies for this?

If there are formal licences on the article then we can reference them. But
many articles have home-grown conditions. There are also times involved
("this paper will remain open access for 3 months" as if this was possible).

We are trying to identify the "OKD-compliant" papers in the Open subset of
UK/PMC. This is surprisingly hard. A metadata system is critical

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics