[openbiblio-dev] Fwd: Open Metadata Handbook

Primavera De Filippi primavera.defilippi at okfn.org
Fri Feb 10 10:57:14 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,
there are various possibilities to describe the rights vesting into a work.
I probably do not know all of them, but for instance in Dublin Core, you
can use the term dc:rights
Term Name: rightsURI:http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/rightsLabel:Rights
Definition:Information about rights held in and over the
resource.Comment:Typically,
rights information includes a statement about various property rights
associated with the resource, including intellectual property rights.as
well as dc:license and dc:rightsHolder - see
http://dublincore.org/usage/meetings/2004/03/dc-rights-proposal.html

DOAP also provides the doap:license, although this vocabulary is
specialized for open source software.

My personal preference would be the use of ccREL
It provides the possibility to associate a resource directly to a license:
e.g. <http://lessig.org/blog/> xhtml:license <
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/> .
or to actually describe the permissions / prohibitions / attributes of a
license by means of specific license properties.
More details here: http://www.w3.org/Submission/ccREL/  (section 3.2:
License Properties)

ccREL might not cover all the possible conditions/obligations of a license,
but it's always possible to ask CC to add a few elements if necessary (e.g.
public domain). As part of CC-France, we can easily get in touch with the
people working on the CC vocabulary   :)

Let me know if this answer your inquiries.
Cheers,
Primavera