[openbiblio-dev] First cut of AsyncUpload branch

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 10:52:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Etienne Posthumus <
etienne.posthumus at okfn.org> wrote:

> I think supporting non-Python parsers is actually quite important.
> There is a large amount of Java tools out there that we could leverage
> for example. If all we say is: make a self-contained executable
> jar-file that can spit out BibJSON, and you can parse anything you
> want. (or Ruby/PHP/shellscripts/XSLT pipelines etc. )

Absolutely. Java is my Golden Hammer (along with XML).

Our group developed Java tools to scrape the scientific literature from
publisher web pages ("pubcrawler"). It's very powerful and - because it's
specifically designed for scholarly pubs - probably a better starting point
than Scraperwiki. If I can use pubcrawler and its routines from bibserver
then I think we could answer some of the wishes on open-access for malaria

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics