[openbiblio-dev] Survey for GLAM Institutions in France

Mark MacGillivray mark at odaesa.com
Mon Feb 13 13:19:20 UTC 2012

Hi Primavera, this is great, thanks a lot for following it up.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Primavera De Filippi
<pdefilippi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mentioned the possibility of introducing questions concerning
> bibliographic metadata, so as to identify the institutions who have not yet
> openly disclosed their metadata to the public but would be willing to do
> so. I have thus been asked to contribute to the survey by adding questions
> concerning bibliographic metadata. If anyone on the list has any idea or
> suggestions on what kind of questions would be relevant to ask to those
> institutions, please let me know !
> The first draft of the questionnaire has to be submitted y the 14th of
> february (tomorrow) so it is pretty urgent  :)

some suggestions:

* what format(s) do you currently use to manage your metadata, if any?
* what format(s) do you offer export of your metadata in, if any?
* do you offer online access to metadata?
* what restrictions (e.g. licence, size) do you place on access to
metadata, online or otherwise?
* what currently restricts your ability to provide wider access to
metadata just now (e.g. lack of expertise, lack of time, lack of
budget) ?
* are you contractually obliged to restrict access to metadata? if so,
by whom and on what basis?
* if you do not currently offer access to metadata, is it something
you want to do but can't, or have you no intention of doing so?
* do you think that access to the data you hold is in the public good?
* do you think open access to the data you hold should be a supported
requirement of publicly funded institutions?

> Finally, a conference/workshop will be organized in April to discuss the
> results of the survey directly with the representatives of GLAM
> institutions. I have been asked to intervene as part of Creative Commons, it
> would be nice to take advantage of this opportunity to propose to some of
> these institutions (who still have no idea how which format to use) to adopt
> bibjson/bibserver/bibsoup as an easy and interoperable solution for opening
> up their data.

Yes, this would be excellent. Anything we can do to demonstrate where
these tools would be useful would be welcomed - just let us know what
feedback you receive, or point anyone you talk to to this list for
further questions.