[openbiblio-dev] References in Wikipedia and BibJSON

Etienne Posthumus etienne.posthumus at okfn.org
Tue Feb 14 13:35:13 UTC 2012

On 10 February 2012 18:57, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> You probably all know this but I was just editing a page in Wikipedia and
> found the new reference style - which is very similar to BibJSON:

Very interesting Peter! (I am one of those who don't know)
Nosing around the docs I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_templates

Trying to understand how it works:
On a page you edit, the citations are made using the above template
style. When the page is saved the citations are saved and displayed at
the end of the article in a neat (numbered & hyperlinked) reference
list. Because of the template, certain fields become useful, eg. dois
become linkable,  wikipages are links etc.

Is this correct? So we could make a Wikipedia page to BibJSON scraper
that takes a given wikipediapage url and returns a BibJSON of all
cited items?

What is the 'correct' way to get a structured data output of a
Wikipedia page? (showing even more ignorance on my part)

--

Etienne