[openbiblio-dev] BibJSON Validator?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 19:09:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Edmund Chamberlain <emc59 at cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > I've a barebones Perl based parser up as a gist:
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/1836836
> >
> > Should accept stdin. JSON seems valid but does
> > not upload to bibsoup. Getting a 'unicode' object has no attribute 'get'.
>
> Is there a BibJSON validator available (or planned)?  I'm thinking of
> something along the lines of the W3C validators for various types of
> markup: http://validator.w3.org/
>
> Conversely, is there a suite of BibJSON test documents that all
> BibJSON parsers should be able to process in a conformant manner a la
> https://github.com/json-ld/json-ld.org/tree/master/test-suite
>
> Tom
>
> I strongly support these ideas. I'm not deliberately offering to provide
solutions but I have done a  lot of this in chemistry and found them
essential. This includes:
* syntactic validation (presumably any JSON parser should do this)
* namespace validation (if used)
* semantic validation. This requires us to write semantic specifications. I
don't know how much we shall want to do. I can see this being valuable for
core vocabulary (e.g. "title" vs "titel", allowed siblings, what elements
can have lists, objects, etc.). This may include enumerations and value
checking.
* roundtripping. Can we read in an entry, store it and re-publish it
* unit testing. Is entry A sameAs entry B. I imagine that in many cases
sibling order is irrelevant. There may also be problems with comparing
floats, dates, etc.
* Locale and encoding problems. Do different locales emit different lexical
representations? Thus 1.234 in UK may be rendered as 1,234 in some other
European countries. Reading a date in TimeZone A might change the date in
TimeZone B.

I'm not saying these have to be done tomorrow, but at some stage we shall
have to address them.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics