[openbiblio-dev] Best practice for name format in BibJSON

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sat Feb 25 14:33:16 UTC 2012

On 2/24/12 6:00 PM, Mark MacGillivray wrote:
> Clarifying the "id" field in author object:
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Jim Pitman<pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>  wrote:
>>> Also, I notice that there is an "id:" element in the person name area. I
>>> presume that this could be used for ORCID or researcherID, etc. Will the
>>> type of ID be clear from the text? I don't know how people generally use
>>> these, and if they are full URNs or URIs or not.
>
> Karen - this is not quite right; the ID field in the author record
> here is an ID for that record.

This confuses me a bit. If this is an internal bibserver ID for the
author record, how does the author record get that ID? If the ID is
supplied by someone submitting data to bibjson, what guarantees that it
is unique?

> It could be some other sort of ID in
> another system, but this one is specifically for use in identifying
> the record in question - so if you start to have multiple authors
> appearing in different records but actually they are the same author,
> you can assign them the same ID.

Who is "you" in this case? And does this mean that you will have more
than one author record with the same ID? If so, how do you know that
they represent the same author rather than the same ID used more than once?

kc