[openbiblio-dev] Bibserver Status

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 17 18:22:38 UTC 2014

Go for it Joe!

I've also touched base with Mark McGillivray who did a lot on the JISC
Bibserver project and copied Dave Flanders who was program manager in JISC.
Dave has been a great supporter of Open Scholarship. See
http://openbiblio.net/p/jiscopenbib2/, http://openbiblio.net/p/jiscopenbib2/.

This is how I think projects should develop - someone enthusiastic picks up
where the last initiative finished. Don't be constrained by any of our
visions if they don't fit. A lot has happened since the end on
OpenBibliography and the world's attitude has changed. Then , bibliography
was seen as closed or uninteresting; now it's seen as Open and I think most
GLAM institutions are positive about releasing their metadata.

I have always believed in communities and I hope one grows round you,
MiTar, JimP and other people. We really need Open Bibliography for
scholarship. To the extent that contentmine.org produces exhaust
bibliographic data we'll be happy to help.

P.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> Joe, it's great to hear that someone is continuing this. I worked a bit
> with Jim on the metadata content aspects (I'm a librarian), and am
> currently deeply involved in various projects to add linked data
> capabilities to bibliographic data. If there's anything I can contribute,
> let me know. I'm located physically in Berkeley, and virtually here,
> skype:kcoylenet. ;-)
>
> kc
>

> --
> Karen Coyle