[openbiblio-dev] citing research compendia

Mark MacGillivray mark at cottagelabs.com
Thu Jan 30 16:37:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 7:12 PM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on http://researchcompendia.org/ and the goal is to allow
> researchers to share everything that underlies the research that went in to
> a paper. We also want to encourage people to cite code and data and other
> elements that are not often cited.
>
> In addition to bibtex keys, I'd like to have some conventions to follow
> when citing code and data. bibtex only has 'misc'. If there are commonly
> used conventions for code, please do let me know. I do know that people on
> the software-carpentry mailing list and other places have discussed the
> topic.

I do not know of common conventions, but another place to check may be the
science code manifesto:

http://sciencecodemanifesto.org/

to find people to follow up with.

> For citing data, basing conventions on http://schema.datacite.org/ seems
> reasonable. With respect to bibjson, to conform to the standard I would
> preface any key not in bibtex with an underscore. Do I understand the idea
> correctly? I could add a field _datacite: {} which would contain all of the
> metadata related to datacite defined fields.

No, you don't need to prefix with underscore. Underscoring was just used to
identify the difference between useful public information and stuff that
maybe was in the public file but was only really of use to the backend
system. So you use underscores for keys that are not directly relevant to
the biblio metadata.

If you wish to use keys that are not in bibtex that is totally fine - the
aim is to develop a set of commonly used keys by having people submit
demonstrations of their usage of particular keys, then others can conform
to that usage too.

So just add any extra keys you need, or start discussions about what may be
best. Then make a recommendation based on your usage once you have made a
decision about a useful key to add.

Mark