[openbiblio-dev] citing research compendia

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Jan 29 19:12:36 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm working on http://researchcompendia.org/ and the goal is to allow
researchers to share everything that underlies the research that went in to
a paper. We also want to encourage people to cite code and data and other
elements that are not often cited.

In addition to bibtex keys, I'd like to have some conventions to follow
when citing code and data. bibtex only has 'misc'. If there are commonly
used conventions for code, please do let me know. I do know that people on
the software-carpentry mailing list and other places have discussed the
topic.

For citing data, basing conventions on http://schema.datacite.org/ seems
reasonable. With respect to bibjson, to conform to the standard I would
preface any key not in bibtex with an underscore. Do I understand the idea
correctly? I could add a field _datacite: {} which would contain all of the
metadata related to datacite defined fields.

--
sheila